Welcome to Jewels of the OBX - The Blog!

If you know my jewelry, you are probably more familiar with my jewelry collection, Jewels of the OBX. I'm very proud of this collection and it will continue to grow - that's why I'm keeping this blog. However, I would like to invite you to get to know all my designs and you'll find them at my new website,
Julie Smith Jewelry.

Thank you for letting me share my passion with you and I hope you'll enjoy wearing my designs.
If you ever have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me!

All the best,
Julie


Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jewelry Designer in the Making!


Here's our beautiful, very smart and talented 8-year-old granddaughter, Jade, posing with the beaded necklace and bracelet she made while staying with us this summer. Didn't she do an awesome job? Truly, I helped very little ... she picked out the beads, crystals and toggle clasp from my bead stash and she designed the basic layout. For the necklace, I helped with stringing the wire onto the clasp using crimp beads and made sure the length was right. (The clasp she picked out is a cute teapot and spoon). She strung butterfly spacer beads on each side of the beautiful purple crystal focal bead.

She loved the aquamarine Swarovski crystal and silver-plated spacer beads so I showed her how she could make a double stranded bracelet with them. She picked out some coordinating size 6/0 blue color-lined Dyna-Mites and then I showed her how to string them all onto elastic cord, made sure the length was right, then knotted and glued the cords to keep the bracelet secure. Beautiful!

We bought a pretty little plastic heart box from the Dollar Tree, lined it with cotton batting and she had an adorable jewelry box to keep and protect her jewelry. Jade did such a wonderful job, I'm sure you'll see more exciting jewelry designs from her in the future!

4 comments:

Dee said...

Aww she's adorable! She did a really good job!

Sarah Smith said...

That's my girl!! She did such a great job, and I'm so glad she got her Grandma Julie's love for beading!

Julie said...

Thanks so much, Dee! Jade is our first grandbaby ... we're so proud of her!

Julie said...

Sarah, thank you so much for driving all that way so our Miss Jade could spend some time with us this summer! Luv u!