Welcome to Jewels of the OBX - The Blog!

If you know my jewelry, you are probably more familiar with my jewelry collection, Jewels of the OBX. I'm very proud of this collection and it will continue to grow - that's why I'm keeping this blog. However, I would like to invite you to get to know all my designs and you'll find them at my new website,
Julie Smith Jewelry.

Thank you for letting me share my passion with you and I hope you'll enjoy wearing my designs.
If you ever have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me!

All the best,
Julie


Sunday, August 22, 2010

Goodies

To those curious about what goodies I bought at the Intergalactic Bead Show last weekend, here's some eye candy for you!

Here's the entire booty ...




My favorite is this 8" strand of textural copper beads. I love the way the light plays between them, making it appear as if they're two different shades of copper.




All I could think of was "party" when I saw these multi-colored glass bead chips! Can't you see them strung along with the copper beads into something interesting? Hmmm, maybe.






Beadwork Magazine featured these hand-painted porcelain beads which, of course, with the starfish and shells on it, caught my eye. They were $7 each, a slightly larger size was available for $10 each. These are probably destined to be focal beads in a necklace/bracelet set.




I also liked these copper seahorse charms although after further inspection, I'm not thrilled with that goofy smile on their faces. Seriously, don't they look like they have little beaks?






The sheen on these top-drilled tigereye nuggets is mesmerizing.



I see them in a spectacular multi-strand necklace with these small green and cranberry button cultured pearls.






Perhaps the necklace will look nice with this copper toggle clasp that I also bought at the show.






One vendor was doing well offering great prices on these bone beads. You'll probably see them in some unisex surfer jewelry one day soon.






I enjoy square cut beads and this little strand of mixed gemstone beads caught my eye, too.






After getting them home and checking them well, though, I realized they're unfortunately just a medium grade with a few irregularities. Defintely not quality material for Jewels of the OBX jewelry! I've decided to just use them in a bracelet for myself along with some faceted jasper rondelle beads I already purchased the other day at Cloud Nine.


While I was in Cloud Nine, a girl came in who Harry and I had just talked to at the show. She had been working for the vendor I purchased the copper beads from and turns out she lives here in Colington! It's a small world.


Hope you enjoyed browsing my new stash! That ought to keep me busy for a little while!


See you on the beach!


Julie

No comments: