Welcome to Jewels of the OBX - The Blog!

If you know my jewelry, you are probably more familiar with my jewelry collection, Jewels of the OBX. I'm very proud of this collection and it will continue to grow - that's why I'm keeping this blog. However, I would like to invite you to get to know all my designs and you'll find them at my new website,
Julie Smith Jewelry.

Thank you for letting me share my passion with you and I hope you'll enjoy wearing my designs.
If you ever have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me!

All the best,
Julie


Monday, October 5, 2009

The first Monday of the month ...

It was an important day on my calendar. I finally finished my artist's portfolio and prepared a presentation of an example of my work. Decided on the necklace and earring set, "Twists and Terns."



I think it's probably the most representative of the work that I do. I put the necklace and earrings in separate jewelry boxes and put them both in a really pretty silver foil that both fit perfectly in (I couldn't believe my luck when I found it!). I think it will be a really nice presentation. So, this morning I dropped them off at a gallery that may be interested in selling my jewelry. They accept new applications on the first Monday of the month. They already have several other jewelers so I'm trying not to get too hopeful but, even if I don't get in, it has really been fun preparing for it. There hopefully will be other galleries to pursue and now at least my portfolio will be ready to go ... from now on, all I have to do is just remember to add to it as I finish jewelry pieces!



After leaving the gallery, I finally had my "Certificate of Assumed Name" notarized and took it to the Registar of Deeds at the Dare County Courthouse. "Jewels of the OBX" will be official and in the deed books soon! Who knew there was so much paperwork involved in making jewelry?! Once I got back home, I actually was able to bead and started on a new bracelet.



Here's my little collection on shells I found on the beach last week which has been sitting patiently on my desk.


I've had my eye on one particular piece and have decided to make a bracelet with it. I started on it today and if it goes well, I'll show you how it progresses.
We're leaving this week to go visit our daughter and then our son who both live in Virginia. I'll put the new project in an old Kaboodles box (oh, you had one, too!) that I use to put my beading in when we travel. Except for the huge mirror under the lid that reflects too many wrinkles, the box works really great. I can sit it on my lap and bead when it's Harry turn to drive. Maybe the leaves are starting to turn up in the mountains and we'll get to see some colors! I'll take pictures!

Well, I hope your first Monday of the month was good one.

Take care!

No comments: